For Consultation


Markham Office: 7030 Woodbine Avenue, Suite 500, Markham, Ontario L3R 6G2

There are a number of ways that a child under 18 (referred to as a “minor”) may inherit assets. The child could: 

In Ontario, a minor child is not permitted to receive a substantial inheritance directly, monetary or otherwise. Parents of minor children do not have an automatic right to control an inheritance received by their minor child (see our Concepts Newsletter, Summer 2010)

If there is no trust in a will, a parent can only control a minor child’s inheritance by applying to the Court to be appointed the minor child’s Guardian of Property. They will then have to manage the inheritance for the minor child’s benefit according to the terms of the Court Order.

Where an adult person does not have the legal authority to receive the monies for the minor, they must be paid into court by paying them to the “Accountant of the Superior Court of Justice”. Once the proceeds are paid into court, the person having legal custody of the child must make written requests in order to have payments made out of court for the child’s expenses. When the child reaches the age of 18, he or she can demand that the inheritance be handed over to him or her from the Court. The child can also demand a full accounting of all transactions affecting the inheritance unless previously approved by the Court.

A parent (or other person leaving a gift to a child) who wishes to defer payment of the child’s inheritance beyond the age of 18 can include a trust in his or her Will. In a trust, a parent or other person, such as a trust company, is appointed to act as “trustee” to manage the minor child’s inheritance. Usually, this is someone who is good at handling money.

Having a trustee in charge means that the beneficiary cannot squander the property; it’s protected for his or her benefit. The parent can also outline restrictions as to their desired use of the trust funds. For example, they can specify that:


There are also income, estate and gift tax advantages to using a trust. For further information about establishing a trust for a minor child or other intended beneficiary, please contact Andrea P. Kelly.

eMail Newsletter icon, eMail Newsletter icon, eMail List icon, eMail List icon
Find this post interesting? Sign up to the newsletter!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *